Introduction and Native Countries of the Siouans and Catawbans

Blair Rudes BARudes at aol.com
Tue Jan 30 04:12:00 UTC 2007

Hi Travis,
In all the extant data from the Catawba language, I have found nothing  that
would qualify as what you call “country names.” The evidence from early
narratives indicates that from earliest times, Catawba names such as Esaw (Ysa,
Yssa), Catawba (Catapa, Cataba), Saraw (Xual(l)a, Joara), etc. were the names
of  towns, not the names of “countries.” As I noted in my article “Place Names
of  Cofitachequi” (Anthropological Linguistics 46.4 (2004):359-436), the only
 Catawban town name for which a relatively certain etymology can be proposed
is  Esaw (Ysa, Yssa) (from Catawba ‘i:suwaN’ ‘river’). With the exception of
Esaw,  Speck’s proposed analyses of purported Catawba names in his “Siouan
Tribes of  the Carolinas” are purely speculative. I discuss many of them in the
“Place  Names of Cofitachequi” article. The name Cofitachequi, which was the
name  applied by the Spaniards to the political entity and the territory in
the  Carolinas that included the towns of Ysa and Catapa, is of Muskogean
origin and  appears to have been given to the Spaniards by Muskogean speakers on
the south  side of the Savannah River. (See the article “Catawba and Its
Neighbors” by  Blair Rudes, Thomas Blumer, and J. Alan May in the Southeast volume of
HNAI.)
With respect to your questions “are all of these peoples thought to be
Catawban?” and what about the other (likely) Catawban tribes, such as the
Keyauwee?,” here is a quick summary of information that is discussed in greater
detail in the previously referenced articles by Ives Goddard and me in
Anthropological Lingusitics and in my co-authored chapter on the Catawba in the
Southeast volume of HNAI.
1. There are good reasons to believe that the Eno, Shakori, Keyauwee,  Waxhaw
were not Catawban-speakers.
2. There is one piece of evidence, discussed in both Ives Goddard’s and  my
articles in Anthropological Lingusitics, to suggest that the Santee-Seretee
were Catawban speakers. There is also circumstantial evidence suggesting that
the Sewee were politically allied with the Santee-Seretee, which may also
indicate a cultural-linguistic connection, although that is  uncertain.
3. The relationship between the Saraw (Xual(l)a, Joara, Sauro) and the
Cheraw (Chara) is complicated, but one or both of the groups apparently spoke a
Catawban language/dialect.
4. The linguistic affiliations of the Pedee, Wateree, Congaree, and other
historic towns of the Province of Cofitachequi are wholly unknown due to lack of
 data, although Catawban etymologies are possible for their names. As Bob
noted,  just because a Catawban etymology is possible for a town name, it does
not mean  the people in the village spoke a Catawban language. It may simply
mean that it  was speakers of a Catawban language who gave the name to the
individuals who  wrote it down.
There are a few examples of Catawban names for non-Catawban peoples that
might be considered “country names,” for example, the name M’aNturaN’  ‘Cherokee
’. However, the antiquity of such names, and their etymologies are
uncertain.
I hope this information is useful.
Let me know if I can help you in any other way with your  proejct.
Best regards,
Blair