SYMBOLS

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Fri Jul 13 16:34:28 UTC 2007

Steve:
Instead of working on my IOM Dictionary entries, I waste this morning time exploring the pre-MS-Vista Menus" tab.  And I think "What is different now on my old classic menu.

So interestingly, I find under "Menus" >Insert > Symbols > More Symbols.....Letters for the prominent alphabets of the world, i.e., Latin, Greek-Coptic, Russian, Arabic, and misc. drawing lines, and other stuff I am not recognizing, ....and then this...
the glottal stop and the enge (elongated tailed "n"), which I am printing below this line to see if they make it to your PC.
ˀηŋ
These same symbols above and those alphabets used to be in the font character maps under the previous system.  Perhaps they still are, but I am not checking it out now.
There in the maps, they showed keying in code(s) and how to make a short key insert which I never attempted.  What is significant here IS...

They are listed as "Unicode".  In short, this is a world wide font set to eliminate the world wide problem we've experienced locally, namely, using a set of fonts with accented (stressed) vowels and various special character fonts in the course of our document files, sending those files to another PC user, who receives them corrupted or with a substituted font such as the deutsche esetz (spelling?), i.e., the German letter for a double "s", as in "Nuss (nut)".

Let me know if these arrive on your PC, as I am using the MENUS tab you place on the PC yesterday.  If you receive them, it will be a phenomenal achievement for self, Rueben, and other assistants in the various Siouan Languages Prograns, and the double benefit will more be to enable more easily the requirement of DEL/ NSF/ ANA grants, and allow us to eliminate the need  to transfer the Siouan Font files among ourselves.  Well, at least for Ioway, Otoe-Missouria, anyway, and perhaps, Hochank/ Winnebago.
Jimm

P.S.:  I am drawing my conclusions above based on my general abilities to accomplish the needs of my lexicology and bilingual texts projects, and without a clue  to the implications and interfacing of the many vintages of PCs out there, and in particular, our MSWord/ Office '98-2003 applications with the recent MSVista Word/ Office.
To date, I am aware of your counsel to avoid the automatic Vista extension added on to saved. doc files, which would preclude other PC users being able to open attached .doc files, and the fact of the loss of certain functions under the new Vista tabs.