SYMBOLS

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Fri Jul 13 23:23:44 UTC 2007

> ˀηŋ

Jimm,

These characters came through fine in my email program (Thunderbird v1.5
on Windows Vista) and were rendered correctly when I pasted them into a
Word 2007 document.

Likewise, I can copy, for example, Unicoded Arabic text from Wikipedia
and paste it into Word.

Not everyone right now can handle Unicode, but it has been making great
strides and will soon (I think) underlie virtually all modern operating
systems and their programs.

Ask your correspondents to set their email programs' character encoding
to Unicode (UTF-8), if your special characters don't display correctly
under their default program setting. (My program automatically
recognized your message as UTF-8.)

Also, contrary to what people sometimes think, you don't have to compose
your message in HTML to use Unicode: just use plain text in UTF-8. (When
I use a special character in an outgoing message, Thunderbird recognizes
that fact and when I click SEND asks me if I want to send the message in
UTF-8.)

Regards,

Alan