obviation in Siouan languages

Marino marino at skyway.usask.ca
Fri Jun 1 03:22:30 UTC 2007

Well, to put it baldly, obviation is a systematic morphological distinction
in 3rd-person reference, whereby one referent is focused (proximate) and
other 3rd-person referents (obviatives) are given *some sort* of background
status.  In Algonquian, this seems to be always confined to animate
nominals.  In Plains Cree at least, nominals in the 3rd person can be
divided into 3 groups:  animates whose internal state the speaker has
knowledge of, animates whose internal state the speaker does not have
knowledge of, and inanimates that cannot have an internal state.  There are
also various morphological correlates to obviation in verbal
morphology.  One such morpheme is -yi- , which Muehlbauer discusses in his
CLA paper.  To quote from his abstract:  "Verbal morphemes can be exploited
to track obviation, but do not inherently encode it."

Mary