obviation

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 20:59:34 UTC 2007

Actually, that can be a pretty serious issue (speaker preference).
There are some Odaawaa speakers who dislike having their language
called Ojibwe, others who consider Ojibwe a "family" to which Odaawaa
belongs. Most Ojibwe/Chippewa people around these parts (Minnesota,
Wisconsin, Upper Peninsula) consider Odaawaa a different language from
their varieties, but there is great mutual intelligibility. Maybe a
safe, neutral terminology that would satisfy both linguists and
speakers would be something like "Odaawaa Ojibwe". I suppose you'd
have to ask an Odaawaa speaker to find out whether that would solve
the problem. I don't know any in this area.

- Bryan