local reactions to language family terms

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:47:15 UTC 2007

Mark's comments are well-thought out and on target. I was speaking
with a fellow graduate student (éshti waxé skáxti tHaN - quite white)
about field work in indigenous communities earlier in the spring. As
is typical of academics who know nothing about indigenous communities,
she was completely shocked that there exist indigenous people who
would reject the accumulated knowledge of the discipline of
linguistics even in the face of rapidly shrinking speaker populations.
She was also quite sure that there must be a simple, theoretically
acceptable way to describe indigenous languages without offending
anyone.

That's just not the case. Linguists may grow tired of putting entries
in their paper like "Language X, also known as Y, a member of the Z
family, referred to as W by speakers from place V, as U by speakers
from place T, and not considered to be the same language by speakers
of mutually intelligible language S..." but that's just a hazard of
the profession! The reality is that the landscape of political
designation and cultural designation is constantly shifting, and that
linguists, even indigenous linguists, are a part of a colonial
academic system that has no right to make those decisions on behalf of
any indigenous community.

As I see it, we are faced with two choices: either we fill our papers
with long-winded descriptions like the one above, or we choose to
behave disrespectfully towards speaker communities. I know which
choice I prefer! C'mon, our rep is already bad enough, let's not make
it worse for the sake of brevity in one section of a paper. There is
no easy answer, and as soon as we think we have found one, we are
already beginning down the path of entitlement and disrespect.

- Bryan Gordon

PS: Here are a couple of templates I use regularly in my writing:
Ponca is a language indigenous to the area of the Niobrara Valley,
part of present-day Nebraska and South Dakota. The language's main
speech community is currently located in north central Oklahoma. Ponca
is mutually intelligible with the Omaha language, but is not
considered by Ponca and Omaha people to be the same language.
Linguists usually speak of the "Omaha-Ponca" language, of the
"Dhegiha" family (Siouan - Central - Mississippi Valley).
Ojibwe is the name of some closely related languages and also of a
family of languages. Minnesota Ojibwe, also called Chippewa, is spoken
in present-day Minnesota. Closely related forms are also spoken in
Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Salteaux, from western
Ontario and eastern Manitoba, is considered by some, but not all,
speakers, to be the same language. In the language itself,
"Anishinaabemowin" is used to describe this particular language, while
"Ojibwemowin" may be used to describe either this language or the
whole family. The family also includes "Nishnaabemwin," or Ottawa,
which is spoken in central and eastern Ontario, and is similar to
forms spoken in the islands of Lake Huron. This form is not considered
to be the same language, but is sometimes referred to as "Ojibwe" as
well. Anishinaabemowin and Nishnaabemwin fluent speakers enjoy
extensive mutual intelligibility, but this may not be the case for all
speakers.
These descriptions are long, it is true, but I believe they only
barely pass the muster of descriptive sufficiency.