obviation

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 23:44:57 UTC 2007

Back to the main topic:

I found this example from Nishnaabemwin/Ottawa/Odaawaa/East Ojibwe:
Gakina ogii-boodaakwenan aniw makakoonsan bangwaaboo ate-magak.
All PST-she.put.in.kettle the little.boxes lye being.there
Nibaagoba aw abinoojiins.
Sleep.DUB.PRET the child.
Ogii-odaapinaan.
PST-she.picked.her.up.

What's interesting here is that the object marker in the third
sentence is obviative, but the child is not marked obviative in the
second sentence. I'm not saying this is different from how it would
work in Siouan, in fact it's probably exactly the same. What it
definitely means for me is that obviation has just as much to do with
simple case as with referent tracking. The only reason the child needs
to be marked obviative in "Ogii-odaapinaan" is that there is another
third-person referent from which the child must be disambiguated, and
as the object the child gets marked obviative.