Switching topics

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 19:01:49 UTC 2007

Yes
I've often noticed that the yuNkhaN could very well be translated into the Biblical 'lo and behold' prefacing some unexpected  event.
Bruce

Wallace Chafe <chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu> wrote: I wasn't going to say anything because I've been away from Siouan
linguistics for many years, but David's message rings a loud bell for me. I
remember a Lakota speaker in Oakland telling how she heard a loud noise in
the night. She looked out the window "and here" (yunkhan) somebody had
plowed into their car. So two speakers evidently came up independently with
that translation.

I've long had a suspicion that most (or all?) of what has been called
switch-reference is just a special case of switch-topic. The
switch-reference notion arose because people were making up isolated
sentences.

I hope everybody realizes that "topic" here is what is sometimes called
"discourse topic", which has little if anything to do with the
"topic-comment" use of this term.

Wally

> For what it's worth, my purely anecdotal impression is that "chanke"
> marks a more or less expected continuation of a narration (hence
> translations like "and so" or "and then" or "and next", while "yunkhan"
> (or yukhan) means "I bet you weren't expecting this next event".  They
> thus correlate very often with switch reference (or switch-scene, or
> switch-topic) because a new or changed element in the conversation or
> narration is often somewhat unexpected by the hearer.  Eli James used to
> translate "yukhan" as "and here" in useages like (this one is made up):
> "They were walking along and here all the time someone had been following
> them".

(David Rood)