obviation in Siouan languages

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 18:39:38 UTC 2007

  (quoting David Rood)
  > For what it's worth, my purely anecdotal impression is that "chanke" marks
  a more or less expected continuation of a narration (hence translations
  like "and so" or "and then" or "and next", while "yunkhan" (or yukhan)
  means "I bet you weren't expecting this next event".  They thus correlate
  very often with switch reference (or switch-scene, or switch-topic)
  because a new or changed element in the conversation or narration is often
  somewhat unexpected by the hearer.

  Precisely. I don’t have much to add to this. A switch-reference analysis for yuNkhaN and chaNkhe is untenable because there are too many counterexamples to a DS analysis for yuNkhaN and an SS analysis for chaNkhe. yuNkhaN occurs frequently with DS but is fine with SS when the event is unexpected; chaNkhe occurs a lot with SS but is fine with DS as well.

  Willem’s impression that yuNkhaN vs. chaNkhe have something to do with obviation stems from the fact that both switch reference and obviation function to “highlight” changing referents in discourse, so there is a connection. But as David says, what we are looking at in Lakota is a system in which switch reference is a secondary byproduct of pragmatic factors inherent in the meaning of the participating elements.

  Regina

ROOD DAVID S <rood at spot.Colorado.EDU> wrote:

For what it's worth, my purely anecdotal impression is that "chanke" marks
a more or less expected continuation of a narration (hence translations
like "and so" or "and then" or "and next", while "yunkhan" (or yukhan)
means "I bet you weren't expecting this next event". They thus correlate
very often with switch reference (or switch-scene, or switch-topic)
because a new or changed element in the conversation or narration is often
somewhat unexpected by the hearer. Eli James used to translate "yukhan"
as "and here" in useages like (this one is made up): "They were walking
along and here all the time someone had been following them".

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado
295 UCB