obviation

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 11 23:53:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Rankin, Robert L wrote:

> Taking off from Dave's comment, ...

I would be perfectly willing to live with a rule of saying "Ponca and
Omaha" and/or Ponca in the Ponca edition and "Omaha and Ponca" and/or
"Omaha" in the Omaha edition, as long as the granting agencies will pay
for two editions.  Or, if they want one edition, we could say "Omaha and
Ponca, or, as the case may be, Ponca and Omaha" alternating with "Ponca
and Omaha, or, as the case may be, Omaha and Ponca."  I can insert that
with what Bob calls a "search and destory" operation keyed on Omaha-Ponca.

On certain occasions, one might want a form like Cegwean, pronounced
Seg-Way-An.

There are a few places where one has to write Ponka, of course, in citing
Dorsey.  He used that form, or Cegiha (C = capital cent sign [sic] = edh),
to refer to Omaha-Ponca.