Switching topics

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 15:35:46 UTC 2007

Crow has a rather peculiar verb dee that indicates that something unusual  or
unexpected will occur in the following clause.  I call it the  'mirative'.
'Lo and behold' would be a good translation; I sometimes  translate it 'and
what do you know!'  or 'to his surprise'.  Latin  'mirabile dictu' would work
also.  Dee is suffixed to the preceding verb  and agrees with it in person and
number, so it is more than a discourse  connective.  It is always followed by
the switch-subject marker -m, as it  requires a different subject in the
following clause.  This seems  similar to what is being described for yuNkhaN.  I
often wondered if other  Siouan languages had anything like dee.

Randy