local reactions to language family terms

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Tue Jun 12 17:04:10 UTC 2007

I have read the comments on this topic with interest. I agree with Mark
Swetland's observation that we should not take one person's comments as
being representative of the Tribe. In my experience, I have heard some
opposition to the term "Omaha-Ponca", but not much. Frankly, the term is
not used in the community. Similarly, I would tend to doubt "O-P" is
used in Macy, either.

Of the opposing sentiments I have heard, little tends to come from
fluent speakers. Rather, in my own opinion, this sort of thing seems to
turn into a political football tossed into the well guarded turf of
"specialized knowledge" and status - but generally not amongst those who
spoke Ponca as their first language.

Fluent speakers are quick to point out that Ponca and Omaha are mutually
intelligible ("we can understand them and they can understand us"). But,
they are also quick to point out that "it's not the same language" or
"they talk different than we do". In my opinion, the difference seems to
be primarily in "usage", akin to the American and British use of
English. An example I was given by one of my Ponca relatives points out
that the Ponca term for a wagon  translates as "running wood", whereas
the Omaha term, I believe, translates as "walking wood". Ponca speakers
understand "zhaN maNthiN" to be a wagon, but most would never think to
say it that way. I've heard fluent Omaha speakers say the inverse was
true, as well. They recognize "zhaN naN'ge" as meaning "wagon", but as a
Ponca speaker would say it.

Ponca people have long held that they are "related" to the Omaha
("they're our relatives") but that they have always been a separate
entity - the two tribes living together at one time but always distinct
from one another. I've heard Omaha people describe the relationship in a
similar manner.

Accordingly, as long as you acknowledge this commonly held tradition,
and explain it as proposed, I'm not sure where the problem lies.  You
may not get a consensus on everyone liking the term "Omaha-Ponca" - I
don't think you ever will - but I think we've got bigger fish to fry.
The language of _both_ the Omaha and Ponca people is in severe  trouble.
In my opinion, it's more important that we all get on the same side of
the rope, rather than worry about those complaining about terms.

wetha'wa zhi'de naN'ba wi wi'ta......

TML