Syntax of Lakhota Sentence from "Lakota Eyapaha"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 15 23:19:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, David Costa wrote:

> I can't do that in my idiolect, but it seems to me like in such dialects,
> 'but' is just being made more syntactically like 'though', which can be
> either clause-initial or clause-final with no difference in meaning.

Yeah.  I'd have to use "though" or "however" instead of that final "but."

By the way, now that I've deleted the encrustation successive previous
comments that followed, let me suggest that it is not really necessary or
even desirable to retain the entire history of an exchange as a sort of
appendix to one's own contribution.  That's what the list archive is for.
Or what you save of past contributions locally.  Just make sure that it's
clear who said what and delete what's not needed to provide a foundation
of sorts to your response.