'Wagon' (Re: local reactions to language family terms)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jun 15 22:03:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Tom Leonard wrote:

> ... one of my Ponca relatives points out that the Ponca term for a wagon
> translates as "running wood", whereas the Omaha term, I believe, translates
> as "walking wood". Ponca speakers understand "zhaN maNthiN" to be a wagon,
> but most would never think to say it that way. I've heard fluent Omaha
> speakers say the inverse was true, as well. They recognize "zhaN naN'ge" as
> meaning "wagon", but as a Ponca speaker would say it.

I've seen naNge characterized as 'going on four legs' as opposed to 'going
on two legs'.  I think in this context maNdhiN is essentially just 'to
move, to proceed', but it is the conventional rendering of 'walk', too.

This is an interesting neologism, in that the 'walking wood' form is
pretty widespread in Mississippi Valley Siouan.  I think it's the form in
Ioway-Otoe, for example.  \

I don't recall a term, off hand, for 'travois'.  I was wondering about
four vs. two legs!