Syntax of Lakhota Sentence from "Lakota Eyapaha"

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 13:50:53 UTC 2007

This is a bit like the use of -tkha following a verb as in wai-kte -tkha 'I should have gone' or wowas^i echamuN-tkha 'I used to work', where the sentences seem to have an elided sentence following them ie 'I was going to go, but (I didn't)' or 'I worked, but (I've stopped now)'.  It seems less easy to distinguish subordinating from non subordinating conjunctions in Lakota since upi k'uN hehan inkiyayapi 'when they came we went away' and upi na hehan unkiyayapi 'they came and then we went away' are not as easily differentiated from each other syntactically because you can also have upi hehan unkiyayapi which might be translated either way.  I suppose it is also a characterstic of what is esentially an unwritten language, since you don't have to decide where the sentences begin and end.
Bruce

willemdereuse at unt.edu wrote: I do not think we need to consistently distinguish sentence final
particle from conjunction in the case of an element like eyas^.  Lakota
conjunctions tend to be phonologically clause-final anyway, rather than
elements right in between two clauses. There is only one eyas^; no
syntactic change in progress needs to be postulated.  If the
conjunction is final some degree of ellipsis can be assumed.  You have
the same thing in very colloquial English. To retranslate Regina's
examples: "I'm walking in a spiritual way; I'm blind in one eye,
but..." "Maybe someone has arrived, but..." It is easier, and less
colloquial, to do this in Lakota, because there need not be an
intonational break or comma between the eyas^ and the preceding clause.

Willem

Quoting Clive Bloomfield :