obviation in Siouan languages

Jan Ullrich jfu at centrum.cz
Tue Jun 12 21:21:03 UTC 2007

> I was thinking that
> chaNke might have originated as a contraction of cha + hanke. Cha is 'and
> so' and haNke is "part of, half of', so chaNke might mean something like
> 'and so, part of (the continuing storyline)' Any thoughts about this?

I do not know what the etymology of the word is, but it is probably relevant to mention here that it occurs in two variants: with aspirated kh (chaNkhe) and with unaspirated k (chaNke). In my experience, chaNkhe is used in the southern sub-dialect of Lakota (Pine Ridge, Rosebud and Cheyenne River), while chaNke is used by speakers from Standing Rock. There are some speakers in the south who use the unaspirated form, but very few. The non aspirated form is also used in Yankton-Yanktonai and Santee-Sisseton Dakota dialects.

Jan