Syntax of Lakhota Sentence from "Lakota Eyapaha"

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 14 21:54:40 UTC 2007

Thanks Willem - your namesake of Occam's whisker-trimmer deftly
applied! And rightly so.

Do you know, I had thought sentence-final "but" only applied nowadays
in the most Aussie of colloquial Englishes : speakers (d'un certain
âge) from rural Queensland (some assert)!
I haven't heard it since I was a lad, when it was probably much more
widespread in working-class Australian English. I remember such
utterances as :
"We'll be goin' inter town temorrer orright, young feller-me-lad! Not
takin' you but." ( Unmistakeable air of finality : a pronounced full-
stop! I had a blighted childhood. ;) )
I was quite startled to hear that it is current in other English
variants. I live & learn!
Regards,
Clive.