Etymologies of some state names

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 2 07:56:13 UTC 2007

I assume we're still talking about 'Kansa' here?

If so, the name in question has initial /a/ in Meskwaki and Sauk as well
('0' = theta):

Meskwaki /akaasa/
Sauk /akaa0a/

However, compare:

Shawnee /kaa0a/ 'Kansa, Kaw', /kaa0eemi/ 'pecan' & /kaa0eewi0iipi/ 'Ohio
River'
Miami-Illinois /kaansa/~/kaanse/ 'Kansa, Kaw'
Illinois <acansipacane>, pl. Miami <akansapäkana> 'pecan'

You're right tho, that Sauk-Fox-Kickapoo normally has /o/ for ethnonyms
where Miami-Illinois has /a/. In fact, Miami-Illinois does not have
word-initial short /o/:

'Ojibwe, Chippewa':

Miami /acipwia/
Sauk /ocipweewa/
Kickapoo /ocipwea/
Shawnee /hocipwe/
Ojibwe /ojibwe/

The final animate /-a/ of Proto-Algonquian is preserved in Miami-Illinois
and Sauk-Fox-Kickapoo, and sporadically so in Shawnee.

David