Biloxi nominal markers

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 16:31:05 UTC 2007

Also, according to info sent to me by John Boyle, Hidatsa uses -ri for the same (focus) purpose.  Apparently Hidatsa -ri, Mandan -(r)e, and Biloxi -di all derive from PS -ri as a focus marker.  It's use in Biloxi as a focus marker is apparently in free variation with 0 marking, since first mention occurs both with and without it.

  Dave

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
  That's right. It's Biloxi -di, or -ni after a nasal V.

Sara Trechter has a somewhat similar function for -(r)e in Mandan, even though earlier workers portrayed it as "epenthetic". Mandan use isn't apparently restricted to first mention.