Bright's placenames vol.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sat Mar 3 01:35:30 UTC 2007

A little sloppy editing.  Bill had a lot on his mind during this period.  My name's on the back cover and also right after the title p. as a consulting editor.  I think I must have become "Maude Rowe" in the contributors list.  I haven't gone through the whole book for the purpose of ego stroking, but there are some "p.c." notations, e.g., under "Arkansas".    Entries are alphabetical, not by tribe or state.  He sent me sections on Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska to go over, but, of course, most of my effort was on Quapaw, Kaw and Osage names.  I think basically we all did a pretty good job on the Siouan names.  I was MUCH happier with them than I was with the Muskogean names, which include quite a bit more speculation.

Bob