Autonym of Mosopeleas-Ouesperies-Ofos

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Mar 3 03:20:42 UTC 2007

> Swanton's idea was that Tunica /us^pi/ is the remains of the "osope" of
Mosopelea.

Actually, I suppose that might work if we assume that the -pe/-pi ending
was a modifier, making Moso-pe as a name meaning, perhaps, "Little Ofo", or
some such thing.  (Nothing promising in the Ofo dictionary though!)

> One of his attested names, Ounspik (or something like that) had already
lost the medial /o/

All of them but Oussipe put the s next to the p.

> (I have no real info on where the -k comes from).

Swanton thought that was a misprint for e.

Rory