Autonym of Mosopeleas-Ouesperies-Ofos

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 5 20:16:06 UTC 2007

That's not Algonquianist usage -- that's French missionary practice of the
17th & 18th centuries. They used it for Algonquian languages, but they also
used it when writing Iroquoian languages.

As Bob points out, it's equivalent to French 'ou' -- thus, it's primarily
used for /w/, /o(:)/ or /u(:)/, depending on context, but sometimes it's
even used for /w/ + schwa, or schwa + /w/.

Technically, it's not exactly an '8' the way the French wrote it -- they
actually wrote it as an '8' with an open top, often a descending character.
But to make life simple, it's usually printed with plain '8'.

Dave