Linguist

Furbee, Louanna FurbeeL at missouri.edu
Tue Mar 6 15:04:48 UTC 2007

Hi Mr. Batson,
Lots of native american languages have sound distinctions that are hard to represent using just the ordinary alphabet that works more or less ok for European languages like English.  So the dots and squiggles are taken (as needed) from the international phonetic alphabet (with which any language sound can be represented - it is a BIG bunch of symbols and modifications of those symbols) for each native american language's alphabet.  It is always a struggle to select a sort of minimum set to represent the sounds properly, and at the same time, not be overwhelming.
So, about learning linguistics:  One of the nicest introductions I know of (it is not complete but a great start) is a little book called LANGUAGE: THE BASICS  by R. L. Trask.  You can order it from Amazon, they have new and used copies available starting at $1.98 (of course shipping will be more than that).  If you get into this field,you could later get a textbook for "doing" linguistics, and a favorite is one by Victoria Fromkin, Robert Rodman, and Nina Hyams, the title of which is AN INTRODUCTION TO LANGUAGE.  It is $85 new from Amazon and there are used copies of it from $55.
Now I have to tell you, it is best to learn the "doing" of linguistics in consultation with a linguist, so I suggest you try to locate a linguist who does research on your language.  I don't know wazhazhe, or who might work on it, but if you will write to Victor Golla (vkg1 at humboldt.edu), the editor of the newsletter of the Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas, he can look up in the society's data base who might be working on it, or put your request in the Newsletter.
I'm copying in Golla with this message.
Much good fortune in pursuing knowledge of your heritage language.
Louanna Furbee