Autonym of Mosopeleas-Ouesperies-Ofos

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Mar 6 17:03:22 UTC 2007

The history of "8" as [w] or [u], French "ou" is interesting.  It's Greek actually.  It is an upsilon written on top of an omicron.  In Greek the upsilon had taken on the pronunciation of [u-umlaut], so the actual sound [u], as in 'boot' had to be written as a digraph.  As in French and some Slavic, the digraph <ou> was chosen, but unlike those languages, the Greeks elected to write it for a period of time as a single symbol, with one of the letters over the other.  This 8-like symbol (with the open top) was also taken into the Cyrillic alphabet and this explains why [u] is written with a symbol that looks like <Y> in Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, etc.  Their Y is derived from the Greek 8.  I'm afraid I can't elucidate the colonial French usage of it during the 17th century, but that's its source.

bob