Generic deictic in OP

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Mar 17 03:55:01 UTC 2007

A couple of weeks ago, John wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Rory M Larson wrote:
>> For nouns, we seem to have a generic deictic e which, at least in OP,
can
>> be placed after a noun to sort of sum up the previous noun phrase for
>> clarity of feeding into the following verb, in the manner of: "My
friend's
>> older brother HE shot a deer".
>
> Could you provide the example?  I'm guessing this is the focus marker -e.

Sorry to be slow about getting back to you on this.  I've just looked
through a couple of the Dorsey historical accounts, from 399 to 404, and
found two.

400:11-13
KkI UmaN'haN ama' gai' tHE:
UmaN'haN-he'be riNkHe', ija'je radai' tHE, e' wara'?ii tHEdi'hi kkI,
mu'aNri'ctaN ttai'tHe,
ai'.

That one isn't ideal, as there seems to be an aside in the middle of the
quote, just before the e'.

402:2-3
Nu'daNhaNga', tti' d^u'ba ppe'raNba
Edi' tHE, e' ura' maNgriN'i-ga, a'-biama' Ca'rewa'rE akHa'.

I think the grammar of this one is clear, although it's for a whole
quotable clause instead of a single noun phrase.

Are these good enough, or should I look for more?

Rory