Biloxi nominal markers

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Mar 2 18:19:40 UTC 2007

I'm not fond of the "free variation" part.  If it's a productive morpheme, it is by definition not in free variation.  If it's used productively there has to be a semantic association worth searching for.  I guess I'd try listing out all the exceptional cases as a first step.  I'll need to check the comparative database again to see whether *-re or *-ri is a better bet.  It depends on what the regular correspondences are for final e/i in the various languages.  We know Biloxi has vowel raising, so it can't be probative.  The question is whether Mandan has lowering or Hidatsa has raising.