Dance Lodges on the Great Plains

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri May 18 15:54:24 UTC 2007

The University of Nebraska Press is going to reprint my 2001 Routledge
monograph on the Omaha Dance Lodges. Finally it will be in an afordable
paperback.

This provides me an opportunity to attach an afterword that begins a
discussion about these circular structures among other Great Plains tribes
and their relation (or not) to the Omaha Dance and/or Hethushka. I want to
gather together some of the current thinking on these structures and
offers some speculations.

I have looked at the SiouanList archives related to the Grass Dance and
Hethushka.

I recall that Loretta Fowler mentions the Omaha Dance among the Arapahoe,
and circular structures used for social events among the Gros Ventre in
her books.

I have references to the Lakota at Pine Ridge doing the "Omaha Dance" in
circular structures built for that purpose in the late 1800s. I am aware
of circular lodges among the Osage and Pawnee in Oklahoma, but with little
details about their construction and uses.

It has been suggested that investing in these structures seems to be an
early Reservation phenomenon since folks were no longer nomadic and
restrained from other cultural practices.

Are you aware of any other occurences of such structures?

Thank you for considering this inquiry,

Regards,

Mark Awakuni-Swetland

mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu