Dance Lodges on the Great Plains

goodtracks at peoplepc.com goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Sat May 19 18:36:48 UTC 2007

Somewhere I have a photo of the old Otoe-Missouria round house.  Earlier
someone spoke of the round dance houses at Ponca, Osage and Pawnee.  At
Pawnee, there was the South Round House that was gone by the 50s/ 60s, but
the North (Skidi) Round House stood unto recent times when it caved in to
deterioration.  About late1980s-90s, a new larger Round House was built and
is used regularly.
The Ioway of Oklahoma would dance Iroshka in an open air space, South of the
Cimmarron river.