Irrealis in Siouan

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue May 29 17:24:44 UTC 2007

I can't think of anything that would be fully cognate right offhand.  There's the /hi/ that is part of causative *hi_(r)e, where the (r) is epenthetic.  JEK has suggested that this is a complementizer of some kind.  I'll let him explain the details, as I don't know where else /hi/ might occur as such.

Closer semantically is */iN/, which occurs compounded with irrealis */-kte/ in Dakotan and Winnebago.  Apparently it also occurs without /kte/ in Omaha and perhaps other languages and has some sort of irrealis meaning.  This is not properly cognate with Biloxi /hi/ because of the oral vowel in the latter.  The /h/ could be explained as a Biloxi reflex of /?/, as in /hoNni/ 'be, do'.  The Omaha use of /iN/ has been the subject of earlier correspondence on this list that can be found in the archives at Linguist List.

That's the best I can do.

Bob