FEELINGS (Abstract Notions) + JOHN

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Thu Nov 29 17:18:24 UTC 2007

First, the word is that John is well and attending to every day life stuff as we all do.

Second, I got to thinking about the word "Feelings".  In IOM, there are words for "feel" as in touch; there are also words, often adjectives that can be rendered as intransitive (stative) verbs, i.e., feel ... (good, bad, sick, helpless, angry, relieved, ignored).  I have "hurt someone's feelings" and "feel like...(whatever...sleep, standing, speaking).
But a word for the genre, I find nothing.  I looked up cognate languages for "feelings" and what little I found, tend to give results similar to what I have in IOM.  I looked in Johannes' Hochank, Carolyn's Osage, Mark's Omaha, Buechel's Lakota and Williamson's Dakota.  Noone seems to take up the subject of Abstract Notions.

Maybe it is not worthy of discussion, or not a legitimate concern.

I dont recall that the list has had discussions on abstract notions.  Unlike the nouns of material stubstance, they tend to be a bit elusive.  But they are indispensible to mature conversation in any language.
Jimm