HAVE PITY

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sat Sep 1 00:15:49 UTC 2007

I think what I'm suggesting is that udaN 'press into' and udaN 'be good, charitable' are homonyms.  The argument rests on semantics/meaning.  'heart' + 'press into' doesn't make as good sense as 'heart' with a meaning more like Omaha udoN.  Kaw and Omaha also have the root daN 'push' (badaN, yudaN, etc.).  As far as I know it's pronounced the same as -daN 'good'.  To differentiate them one has to appeal to meaning.  Since I don't know I/O this can only be a suggestion.

Bob