Osage name

Justin McBride jmcbride at kawnation.com
Tue Sep 4 13:43:33 UTC 2007

I'm not near my Osage names book right now (Louis Burns's "Osage Indian Bands and Clans"), but I can tell you from having researched that book fairly extensively that -walla is a causative form, i.e., -waðe, where ðe is the causative and wa- is doing whatever wa- does (valence reduction).  I've noticed the same phenomenon in old Kaw census data, where the name noNppe-waye ('inspires fear') is written in Agent-ese as No-pah-walla.  Not so sure what olohah would be, though.  Oloha/e?  Aloha/e?  And maybe the l is kl, maybe the h is x... It could be any number of things, I suppose.