Embedded questions?

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Sep 26 16:12:47 UTC 2007

Hi Catherine,

Cool!!  I'd love to see what you found.  I've just finished reading the
paper you sent to Bryan a little earlier.  If you have any papers on
clause-structure, I'd certainly like to look at them.  I think they'd be
very relevant, even if they weren't specifically about embedded questions.

Hope to see you soon!

Rory

             "Catherine Rudin"
             <CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
             Sent by:                  <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
             owner-siouan at list                                          cc
             s.colorado.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Embedded questions?
             09/26/2007 08:53
             AM

             Please respond to
             siouan at lists.colo
                 rado.edu

Hi, Rory.
I elicited a bunch of embedded questions in Omaha 20 years ago, but never
wrote up anything on them.  I think there are some examples in one or two
of my clause-structure conference papers???  Haven't looked at it in a long
time, and it would take me a while to dig through everything and find them.
But I would LOVE to do it when I have time ... and would love to see what
you're finding (as well as stuff on other languages).   We'll have to talk.

Catherine

>>> rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu 9/25/2007 6:54 PM >>>

I'm going to follow up Bryan's inquiry with one of my own:
Has anybody done anything with embedded questions in OP, or
Siouan generally?  I'm thinking of things in the nature of:
"I don't know who it is", where the question is elevated to
an item of information that is then fed to an information
handling verb like 'know', 'think', 'tell', 'say', 'ask',
and so forth.

We've been exploring this with our speakers recently.  I
don't know if what we're getting is new, or old stuff that
I just never paid attention to before.

Cheers,
Rory