Embedded questions?

Catherine Rudin CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Wed Sep 26 13:53:20 UTC 2007

Hi, Rory.
I elicited a bunch of embedded questions in Omaha 20 years ago, but
never wrote up anything on them.  I think there are some examples in one
or two of my clause-structure conference papers???  Haven't looked at it
in a long time, and it would take me a while to dig through everything
and find them.  But I would LOVE to do it when I have time ... and would
love to see what you're finding (as well as stuff on other languages).
We'll have to talk.

Catherine

>>> rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu 9/25/2007 6:54 PM >>>

I'm going to follow up Bryan's inquiry with one of my own:
Has anybody done anything with embedded questions in OP, or
Siouan generally?  I'm thinking of things in the nature of:
"I don't know who it is", where the question is elevated to
an item of information that is then fed to an information
handling verb like 'know', 'think', 'tell', 'say', 'ask',
and so forth.

We've been exploring this with our speakers recently.  I
don't know if what we're getting is new, or old stuff that
I just never paid attention to before.

Cheers,
Rory