Lakota question

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 10:43:08 UTC 2007

Thank you for responding so quickly. I appreciate your help.
  Jonathan

REGINA PUSTET <pustetrm at yahoo.com> wrote:
  It means 'what's your name'.

taku e-ni-ci-ya-pi huwo?
what say-2SG.PAT-to-say-PL question(male speaker)

What is glossed as say-say are the two syllables of
eya 'to say', a verb that takes infixes. ci- does not
normally mean 'to', it is a fossilized benefactive
marker. So the literal translation is 'what do they
say to you?'.

Regina

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658