Frida Hahn

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Apr 29 14:03:20 UTC 2008

I'm confused.  What "holocaust" are we talking about here?  Were the Hahns
Jewish or non-Jewish Germans?  If they were Germans from Russia who had
come to America before Frida was even born, what authority would Third
Reich Germany have had to call Frida "back" to Germany?  Why only her, and
not the rest of her family?  If she was Jewish, why would they want to at
a time they were trying to expel the Jews?  If she was non-Jewish, she
might have moved there voluntarily, and perhaps died there in the
following decade.  There were probably about three million or so German
civilians that died during or after the war from Allied bombing or in the
massive population expulsion of Germans from the eastern parts of their
country by the Russians, Poles and Czechs.  Would on-line "holocaust"
lists include these people?

Rory

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu
04/28/2008 11:25 PM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.colorado.edu

<siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
cc

Subject
RE: Frida Hahn

Thanks for adding that information.  We were afraid something like that
had happened.  The Hahns of Lincoln were Germans from Russia (like many of
the Germans of western KS and other midwestern states), so she would have
known the language since both parents and an older sister had been born
abroad and her father was not yet a citizen.  I guess it might pay to
check in Lincoln in any event.

The holocaust lists that are on-line give at least three Frida Hahns and a
number of others with spelling variants.  The late '30s would have been a
particularly bad time to go back to Germany.

Thanks again for the info.

Bob