Frida Hahn - Code Talkers

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Apr 30 13:19:54 UTC 2008

Hi Ivan,

I would love a copy of your paper and bibliography, if you don't mind.

> I also remember an article that is an in-depth analysis of the Navajo
code and points out that from a cryptographic perspective the code had
actually several weaknesses. Thus it is not so clear why it was never
broken, even though the Japanese had no documentation of the language.
Couldn’t they have linguists working on the language and combine their
research with the cryptographs’? To which extent does the absence of
documentation on a language penalize cryptographs in breaking a code
(knowing that it doesn’t take very long for a linguist to analyze and
inventory a completely “new” and “unknown” language)?

Analyzing a previously unknown language should certainly be doable if you
have speakers to work with within a human context.  But going entirely off
brief text or sound sequences, I wonder how you would even start? Wouldn't
the problem be much like deciphering a dead language from ancient texts
without a Rosetta Stone?  Maya has been deciphered only recently after a
hundred years or so of trying, even though Maya is still spoken.  I think
Etruscan, Minoan Linear A, and the Indus Valley script are still pending.

Thanks for your post.

Rory

"Ozbolt, Ivan C." <ivan.ozbolt at ou.edu>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu
04/30/2008 06:06 AM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.colorado.edu

"siouan at lists.colorado.edu" <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
cc

Subject
RE: Frida Hahn - Code Talkers

Hello all,

I wrote a paper on the code talkers for a linguistic anthropology class at
the University of Oklahoma a year ago, and my impression was that there is
still a lot to be researched on the subject. For instance, most studies
are only historical and don’t analyze the codes from a linguistic or
cryptographic perspective.

« The Comanche Code Talkers of World War II” by William C. Meadows is a
fascinating book that lists all the Native languages used by the military
during WWI and WWII. Most were used occasionally, and only a few ones had
actual codes (Navajo and Comanche for instance).

I also remember an article that is an in-depth analysis of the Navajo code
and points out that from a cryptographic perspective the code had actually
several weaknesses. Thus it is not so clear why it was never broken, even
though the Japanese had no documentation of the language. Couldn’t they
have linguists working on the language and combine their research with the
cryptographs’? To which extent does the absence of documentation on a
language penalize cryptographs in breaking a code (knowing that it doesn’t
take very long for a linguist to analyze and inventory a completely “new”
and “unknown” language)?

According to the sources I consulted, none of these codes was ever broken,
not even the Navajo’s (even though it was used by several hundred people
over an extended period of time). Most books on the subject simply state
that this was so because Navajo is an incredibly difficult language. Is
that a sufficient reason? In comparison, it only took the American
cryptographs a few weeks to break the new Japanese codes (after they had
changed them), but they spoke Japanese!

I am not at all an expert on the code talkers, but I remember having
finished writing my paper with many unanswered questions (maybe some of
you could answer them!)! I can also email my bibliography and paper to
anyone interested.

Sincerely,
Ivan Ozbolt