A HOLIDAY THOUGHT & WISHES

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Wed Dec 24 23:26:23 UTC 2008

Just for the collection, these two are missing.

Irish (Gaeilge or Gaoluinn) is :

"Nollaig Shona dhuit [or "dhaoibh (pl.)], agus AthBhliain gan smál!"

[=Happy Christmas to you, and New Year without blemish!]

Scots Gaelic (Gàidhlig) :

"Nollaig Chridheil dhut [dhuibh],  agus Bliadhna Mhath Úr!"

'Nodlag' is an older Gaelic spelling (ultimately from Med. Latin
"Natalicia" (Nativity)
Even earlier versions in Gaelic were "Notlaic" & "Nodlog".

Georgian (Kartuli Ena) :

Momilotsav(t) Krist'esshoba da Akhali Ts'eli
[=i wish you (pl.) a happy Christ's Birth and New Year]

Here for a little fun, is an attempt at a Lakota version of Dave
Kaufman's Irish Joke about the Three Monks :
(No doubt both idiom & grammar are somewhat dubious. Whoever wishes
to point out shortcomings is very welcome.)

Sápa uN Wache'kiya Wicha'sha Ya'mni kiN Hena'
[=The Three Monks (nearest I could get to 'Monks' was 'Black-Robed
Praying Men')
====

To'huNwetuka waN wache'kiya wicha'sha ya'mni
le' makh^a' wicho'ni kiN pah^e'yab iya'yapi kta iglu'kcaNpi cha he' uN
owi'chota kiN eta'NhaN leha'Nyang iya'yapi.

ChaNkhe' waNna' to'khel Wakh^a'NthaNka Th^awo'oph^e kiN hena'
awah^ta'nipi
cha iyo'ph^eic'iyapi kta cha mani'l naph^a' u'Npi.

He'chesh heta'N o'makh^a waNz^i' opta' abla'gyela thi'pi
nakúNkayesh átaya wókichiyakapi shni.

O'makh^a kin he' ihu'Nni [OR iha'Nke wahe'haNtu]
yuNkh^a'N wicha'sha kiN waNz^i' leya' ho'th^aNiN :

"Ho' eya' tou'Nkhecapi shni s'ele'l?", eye'.

Akhe' o'makh^a waNz^i' opta' heha'NyaN ini'la h^ciN u'N au'pi (OR
yaNka' au'pi).

YuNkh^a'N uNma'pi kiN waNz^i' heya' ayu'pte :

"Hiya'!", eye'.

WaNna' o'makh^a i'yokhihe kiN ihu'Nni, yuNkh^a'N wicha'sha iya'mni
kiN leyé
sehi'Ngle :

"Ith^o', mita'kuyepi, esha' khe'sh nape' blug^a'tiN na le'chel
wo'ic'icuNza waN
waka'g^iN kte lo' :

Tako'mni, niye'pi ini'la yaNka'pi shni haNta'Nsh, mish miye' u'NyaN
ichi'yayapi
kte lo'!"