Opening page of "Brave Against the Enemy" (1944)

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Tue Feb 5 20:21:19 UTC 2008

 > Atkuku kin huinat'age kin otokhetutan'inshniyan kunsyakel namahehe
iyeya yanke he shunkthahu wash'aka
 > k'inkhiyapi iyechelya hugmiyanyan un kah^apapi kin yutiktitan he.

 > Nolan Clark :

 > "His father stamped with doubtful but determined tread on the brake
pedal and pulled on the wheel as if he were reining a stubborn
 > horse."

(...)

Am 05.02.2008 um 18:55 schrieb Rory M Larson:

> > E.g. 'kunsyakel' : I'm not sure exactly why the father would be
> 'pretending/simulating' anything, at this point?!
> Unless 'kunsyakel' here has a weakened sense, meaning not much more
> than : "apparently/seemingly/to outward appearances"?
> But of course for that idea we have s'elecheca/s'ele/s'e/sekse.
>

> I'm guessing the "seemingly" sense is approximately correct here,
> which would mean that kunsyakel doesn't necessarily imply that the
> pretense is false.  Perhaps kunsyakel suggests an active/volitional
> role in the appearance that is lacking in the s'elecheca/s'ele/s'e/
> sekse set, which might be too weak and passive for the author's
> intentions.  While the latter set might give: "The father seemed
> totally bewildered...", using kunsyakel the result might be: "The
> father was actively emitting signals of total bewilderment...",
> surely a much more powerful and humorous way of expressing the
> situation.
>
> Sounds like you have found a wonderful resource.  Thanks for sharing!
>
> Rory

otoḱetu-tan'in-ṡni-yan - lit. maybe about: "things appearing as not
going"-ADV (i.e. the brakes) kunsyakel namahehe - pretendingly
treading-in-again and again...

1) The brakes are actually (still) working, albeit quite badly.
2) atkuku is aware of this, yet
3) "kunsyakel" acts as if they actually wouldn't, by "namahehe iyeya"
again and again treading into them with a fast foot action (?)

I'm not so sure about that na-mahe-he iyeya: maybe its reduplicated to
denote repeated action. I for one, reading this word am having a
pretty nice "picture" in front of my eyes ;-) (like: In gespielter
Verzweiflung or noch(!) nicht ganz echter Verzeiflung -> doubtful but
determined).

Alfred

Ṫaigmuakiṫo (AWT)

Laḱota iyapi wóuŋspeḱiye