A sampler : "Thoka WaN Itkokip Ohitike KiN He"(Jan 1944)

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Wed Jan 9 04:14:17 UTC 2008

I hope members may enjoy the clarity & elegance of that Lakhota as much as I do!

I am conscious of being enthusiastic about it, but needless to say, I am also interested in it in a more analytical & dispassionate way, so I would appreciate any critical observations, or corrections members may care to make.

Clive:
It may be a bit much to expect your level of appreciation to be wide spread among a group of professional linguists, whose primary focus is on analysis and language dynamics, so you will have to look to the exceptions.  I myself do like to the reviews how contemporary literature is expressed in the Lakota language, as I am involved to a much lesser degree how modern literature might be composed in similar languages.  Most of the community languages study is directed towards basic communication, with few instances that I have come upon that encourages, even rewards oral or written composition on contemporary subjects.  It is left to the imagination, as to how Native languages could blossom if the notion would become widespread.  So for my part, you can continue to share your Native prose discoveries.
Jimm
PS:  Are you aware of what became of Emil AFH and Ann NC, and if they had further opportunities to apply their word craft?