A sampler : "Thoka WaN Itkokip Ohitike KiN He"(Jan 1944)

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jan 10 07:25:29 UTC 2008

Jimm,      Thank you so much for this generous-spirited & thoughtful
reply! Your note of caution to me is obviously well-considered, and
straightforwardly made, and I appreciate that.
I did realize that I was addressing a group of trained linguistic
analysts & professional Siouanists, rather than an audience of
literary aesthetes, and yet, in a way, you are exactly the people
I've long been wanting to talk to about this, and to learn more from!
I wish to subject my intuitions to the disciplined & rational light
of linguistic science.
                   May I explain myself a little further? : As I say,
I am acutely conscious of a pronounced emotive component in my
enthusiasm for the rich Lakhota style of Emil AFH, but I wish to
counterbalance & critique that possible bias with as rigorous a
linguistic analysis of AFH's Lakhota vocabulary & syntax, as his
texts can possibly bear. It is about much more, for me, than merely
confirming my private prejudices & inevitable biasses. I'd like to
ascertain whether, (as I'm now strongly inclined to believe) this man
Emil AFH. is a significant & remarkable,
indeed "sui generis", Lakhotaiyapi author. My personal "discovery" of
his quality occurred sometime after I'd begun to seriously &
systematically apply myself to the study of Lakhota & Dakota, about 5
-6 years back, using B&D (1941), Buechel's 1939 Gr. (1939), Bruce
Ingham's 2001 "Lakota" monograph, Rood & Taylor's CULP material &
Sketch, MA & PhD theses such as those by Willem DeReuse & Berthold
Simons, Internet sites such Jan Ullrich's invaluable one, and various
journal papers from IJAL by many scholars here.
                Having also read with close attention by then, a
great deal of of Buechel's Lakhota Bible History stories(1924), all
of Ella C. Deloria's (1932) Dakota Tales, and as much of the
Bushotter corpus as I could manage,  I next acquired a copy of
"Watakpeya Tanka" ("The Great Crusader"), his 1925 translation of an
English version by an American Jesuit Fr. Bernard Wildenhues S.J. of
a German language abridgement (1922) of Fr. George Schurhammer S.J.'s
voluminous biography of the Roman-Catholic Missionary Saint of the
Far East, St. Francis Xavier. I have read & studied all three of
those texts now, and am in the process of a close reading & rereading
of every one of those Lakhota language BIA readers, translated by E.
AFH. I was utterly astonished to find, in the first few chapters of
"WT", evocative Lakhota language descriptions of intimidatingly
majestic Mediaeval castles on mountain tops in the Basque country of
NE Spain, (Xavier's stamping ground, as you will no doubt know). I
think it was then that I realized that I'd stumbled across something
quite extraordinary. E. AFH's Lakhota style seemed so difficult, &,
in some ways, unlike any of the Lakhota I was already familiar with,
both in subject matter, vocab. and to a certain extent syntactically.
That encounter so fired my imagination & stimulated the intellect,
that I became determined to learn more about him, and analyse his
fascinatingly difficult Lakhota.
                 I'd like to tell you a little more about my personal
background, to enable you & other members here to form a clear
picture of "where I'm coming from", as they say. I realize that
excessive & gratuitous personal revelations are not encouraged on
what must remain a list for scholars, but perhaps just this once, it
may be necessary & relevant for me to clarify matters, & tell a
little of what I'm on about? I dare say that, as one might
reasonably expect in a professional community, most of you on the
list would be well acquainted, through conferences, shared
professional experiences, etc., over many years. I would like to
introduce myself a little, & to get to know you all somewhat better.
                I am not (obviously) a professional linguist, & do
not presume to be your equals in depth of knowledge & sophistication
in that particular discipline. However, I have been fortunate enough
to have been on the 'receiving-end' of some excellent training, under
the 'old' (60's & 70's), quite exacting, university régime/
dispensation in the field of Classics (Ancient/Mod.Greek & Latin),
esp. in Classical Philology and textual criticism. I was privileged
to have been trained, by lecturers & senior academics who had earned
their "wings" at Ox-bridge or the U.S. 'Ivy League', to take a
classical text 'apart', parsing each word precisely, and by
constantly analysing the syntactic contruction of its clauses & long
"periods"  minutely, as one goes through it. We also had to learn
composition/translation in those languages, an art which has mostly
now become a thing of the past, practically everywhere, nowadays. To
me, its linguistic value alone in taking one "inside" the language,
so to speak, made it well worth the effort! So I am very at home with
getting my philological "teeth", so to speak, into more or less
demanding & complex texts such as Homer's "Iliad/Odyssey", Pindar's
"Odes", Aeschylus'  "Oresteia", Sophocles'  "Oedipus Tyrannus",
Horace's "Odes', or Virgil's "Aeneid" - masterpieces to which ,
naturally, it is difficult, (not to say impossible!), not to have a
frequently earth-shattering emotional reaction, as well as sheer
intellectual pleasure! I have also studied Italian at tertiary level
to the point of reading Leopardi, & Dante's Inferno, and have been
studying many languages of diverse families for some decades, at
least since I was a brow-beaten Catholic altar boy, tremblingly
repeating the Latin responses during the old Mass from about 1958
onwards!
              Basically, I want to learn to apply those analytical
skills, to these texts in Lakhota/Dakota/Nakota/Nakoda, in
particular, and eventually to learn as much as possible, about the
other languages belonging to this fascinating family! I have learned
to be on guard against possible Eurocentric linguistic "blinkers",
having studied a few non-Indo E. languages such as Finnish, Turkish
in some depth, & a measure of Georgian & Classical Arabic as well.

It seems to me that these 1940's BIA reader's translated by E. AFH
are a potential "well of (Lakhotaiyapi) undefiled", as Dryden said
about the Middle English (mutatis mutandis) of Chaucer's
CanterburyTales (I think). So many of the words in Afraid-Of-Hawk,
EITHER do not occur at all in Buechel-Manhart -- I do understand that
Rigg's works & B-Md. was a groundbreaking, pioneering work, and would
not wish to be thought of as belittling Fr. Buech.'s fine
achievement  -- OR else one has to hunt them up, & do some
(hopefully) educated guesswork on the evidence of any cognate roots,
using such knowledge as one may have acquired of the laws of Lakhota
Word-building (esp. gratia B&D). I find the "discovery" entailed by
this process continually fascinating, and sometimes even
exhilarating! I haven't derived such intellectual & emotional
pleasure from a text, since grappling with the rigours of Thucydidean
speeches, which any Classicist will tell you can be horrendously
difficult, even for very experienced scholars!

I would submit that there is a treasure house of new vocabulary, &
perhaps new light shed on some aspects of lakhota syntax, to be
gained from close study of E. AFH's texts.

For instance only last night, I found the word : "woguonazeye" /
wog^uonazeye/ (presumably with accent on initial syllable (?). E.A.
Kennard did not transcribe word accents ) used for "COFFE-POT" [Brave
Ag.The Enemy" 1944, p.163].  I had already learned, thanks to Bruce's
estimable efforts, the word "wíkhalye".  Emil AFH's word is not to be
found in B-Md., or Riggs, but "og^ú" : 'scraps; dregs; coffee
grounds' is!  Nor does the item "onazeye" occur there, but, sure
enough, 'nazéyA' 'to filter' is there, so with some pondering on the
functions & nuances of those locative prefixes, again by the grace of
Buechel, B&D, Riggs and Ingham, it is not too difficult to work out
how the word came to be used with that meaning.

Two further examples  :  the reflexive verb 'wicalaic'iyA' <'wicala/
in the sense of 'induce oneself believe/persuade oneself--->admit/
confess to oneself (a home truth)' occurs in the 4th para. of that
extended excerpt I posted from BAtE [p.19] the other day, but is
nowhere in Buechel, or Riggs.

In the 2nd, paragraph, [Ibid. same page] : "waNwichaglagyeh^ci" which
appears to have an adverbial sense something like "under his very
eyes", or perhaps better : "under their owner's very gaze" (his herds
died away). Clearly, from "WaNyaNkA". Could it be here a truncated or
"frozen" Possessive-Dative verb-form, used ADVERBIALLY (adverb-
equivalent?  of accompanying circumstance? a 'Participle' as Buechel
would have it) to qualify that principal clause verb? ["...
(ptegleshka optaye waN).....saNp conala AYAPI"]. [=under their
owner's very (-h^ci") gaze, a buffalo herd dwindled way.]

Lastly, I would like to say that any Lakhota writer who is capable of
opening a novella, as Emil AFH does in BAtE [p.5], with a
dramatically vivid scene of a car screeching to a halt in a cloud of
dust, as a teenage boy leaps athletically from the moving vehicle
before it arrives, in florid Lakhota, has won me over for life! ;D I
think he must have had a truly remarkable mind! An artist with words,
in my opinion, whose life, given his elderly status in the early
'40's, must encompassed profound traditional knowledge, in addition
to substantial experience of the modern world of the early to mid XXc.!

The whole concept of Native American writers producing their own
literature in their own language, e.g. poetry  (as with the wonderful
Lucie Tapahonso, or Rex Lee Jim for Navajo, mingled with English)
using the native tongue, or biographies, or novellas (even in
translation) like Emil AFH, really excites me. Yet I suppose from a
publisher's mundane angle, they wouldn't exactly 'leap off the
shelf', as they say? If only Emil had written an Autobiography (à la
Bushotter), or a Lakhota novel! His long life must have been so
interesting.

To answer your last inquiry Jimm, I do not know exactly when Emil AFH
died, but I think that he may have been the same Emil who is
mentioned in "Fools Crow" by Th.Mails, as the father in law in Chief
Frank. If that is he, then he was possibly born around 1855, which is
also remarkable because if so, he must have been in his 80's when
translating those readers, and had truly, by then, been a denizen of
two cultural universes! Perhaps that may explain the difficulty &
richness of much of his (old fashioned?) vocabulary? I have acquired
all of his BIA texts, as well as two seemingly relatively
unremarkable articles in English by him from the old "Indian
Sentinel" from 1932, and 1943 respectively. I wrote to the Archivist
at the Oglala Lakota College, last year, but received no reply.
Perhaps they thought I must be what we Aussies call a
"ratbag" ("crack-pot" in American, I understand)! Not to worry. ;)

As for Ann NOLAN CLARK, here is a Wiki article for you :

Hope I  have made my perspective & purposes here a little bit clearer
now! Next time I contribute, I'll hold back on the autobiographical
detail! ;)

So, thanks again for giving me a hearing, Jimm Good Tracks - if I
could say that in Oto, Ioway, or Missouri, (or Pawnee, or Winnebago),
I'd have done so forthwith! ;)
Maybe someday I will. I have been studying with great interest, the
folk tales & letters on that terrific Omaha-Ponca website, and will
continue to do so! Maybe that will take me at least one step nearer
to your Chiwere branch!
I was intending to learn enough Biloxi to write to Dave Kaufman : I
ordered the Einaudi grammar on Interlibrary loan from Sydney
University's Fisher library, but was dismayed to learn that the book
had been stolen from the shelf! So we can surmise that there is at
least one other dedicated Siouanist (if not Lakotanist) in the Great
South Land!

Best regards,

Clive Bloomfield.