Some Vocab : "Thoka WaN Itkokip Ohitike KiN He"(Jan 1944)

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 16 00:51:04 UTC 2008

On 16/01/2008, at 11:13 AM, Clive Bloomfield wrote:

> 5) :  makho'che kin aka'Nl oo'shkinciye washte' tkha k'uN (perhaps,
> in context) = the former days of the 'goodlife'/prosperity on the
> land/the man on the land's salad days, his heyday.

oo'shkiNciye washte' there looks like it belongs to the familiar
syntactical pattern of such familiar expressions as : oo'yakshica =
it is hard to tell; oa'ye washte' =it is easy to take there; (B&D, pp.
44, 45, respectively) [See also B&D, p.41, #41, 3.; Buech. Gr. p.299,
#184. 3) a)- last 3 exx.]

Hence, (in conjunction with that nominalizing Past/Already-mentioned-
Topic Marker k'uN, and the irrealis particle tkha denoting 'used to
be so, not any more' (B&D, p.113), I  figure the expression must have
meant something like :

  "those former days when the 'doing/living was easy'-->'the good
life'; the good old days when prosperity came easy.

Toksha akhe, mitakuyepi,

Clive.