"phute'okicu" (etymological enquiry)

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 21 23:26:21 UTC 2008

I've been little puzzled about the Buechel-Manhart etymology supplied
for phute'okicu or phuto'kicu [=elephant] :
(Quote) Page 278 : "from pute'= upper lip + wokicu=what one
RESTORES." (unquote, my emphasis). Why 'restores'? 'Restores' what?
Moreover, one notes that while 'wok'u' [with specialized meanings :
i) give food to; ii) lend] does occur in the dictionary, the said
form 'wokicu' is nowhere given.

If I am correctly interpreting B-Md.'s rather bamboozling system of
tiny superscript dots & microscopic inverted "flyspecks"  for
annotation of the unaspirated/aspirated/"gutturalized"/ejective
consonantal contrast, as employed in their phonological
transcriptions for each dictionary headword (2002 edition), this word
is "phute'okichu", hence, apparently, that etymology from kichu
'restore/give back'
(or is that just 'kicu'? - & I'm using a large magnifying glass!
In my edition of B-Md., the -c- is printed with NO dot, so accdg. to
the Guide to Pron. p.xiv, it sounds as intitial ch- is Engl.
'chair' : aspirated, no?).

B&D. supply [p.89, Sect 104, 1.] : kichu' =to give back one's own'.

On the other hand, at the entry for kichu (kicu?) 'restore' , B-Md.,
(echoing Riggs' Dakota dict., s.v.), make a point of saying that this
verb, by rights, ought to be kic'u, (as a derivative, obviously of
k'u, with B&D's ki- 'back again' prefix), but ISN'T, and loses the
ejectivity of C2. Perhaps then it is kicu, after all??

Initially, I supposed that some confusion had arisen, perhaps due to
Fr. Manhart (possibly?) being rather 'hoist in the petard' of this
somewhat quirky orthographical system, and that perhaps the verbal
part of the compound might be simply a Dative-Possessive form of icu
'take/take up', with added locative prefix 'o-' 'inside', hence
etymology : 'he picks (it) up inside his upper-lip (trunk)'--
 >'elephant'.
But then one observes that icu has an (apparently reduplicated/
syncopated?) possessive form 'ikikcu' 'take back what one has given/
take back one's own' (B-Md. s.v.), and there also  exists a form
'iikcu' 'take or obtain what one expects', but apparently no 'ikicu'!
Wouldn't the form corresponding to my etymological speculation here,
have been (phute)-oIKIcu?

Anyway, while people are setting me straight on that, here's another
speculative idea to account for the etymology of 'phute'okichu' :

There is a verb ochu' meaning "to become damp in/to have drops of
water inside".
The Dative/Possessive form might be "okíchu" : "it has [drops of]
water inside (FOR him)"--->"his ....has [drops of] water inside".

Could the etymology of  phutéokichu be "his trunk (lit. upper lip)
has [drops of] water inside" or "he has water inside his trunk",
possibly originating when some Lakota person first saw a circus
elephant giving itself a "shower"?

I know: it's a bit 'cute', and prob. transgresses good old William of
Occam's ever-useful maxim, but I plead the mitigation of those
infuriating dots swimming before my eyes!
Il ne s'agit qu' un crime passionel, monsieur le juge! ;)

Kind regards,

Clive.