"phute'okicu" and other new animals

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 10:14:42 UTC 2008

Buechel gives wamnitu as 'whale or hippopotamus'.  I suppose it is a case of it being a name given to a  large animal living, at least occasionally in water, which is unfamiliar to the Lakotas and that they have heard of from the whites.  I don't know who ate Jonas, but in my folk memory as a C of E Brit I'm sure we always refer to Jonah and the Whale.  I haven't got a King James version of the OT available to check it in the original.  Yes Buechel's Bible history gives hogan tanka wan and also for the story of Tobias a hogan wan tanka (his orthography).  There is a very good description of an Unkchegila in Buechel's tales and Texts in a story called Pretty weasel goes on a raid.  They find one where the rain has washes away the soil.  They say it looks like a horse but is much bigger and has a long pointed nose.  I give it to my students asa translation exercise and offer extra marks if anyone can guess what the beast is.
Bruce

Anthony Grant <Granta at edgehill.ac.uk> wrote: My understanding is that whatever swallowed Jonah, it certainly wasn't a whale as we know it.  I'd never thought that whales were native to the Middle East anyway!

Anthony

>>> "Rankin, Robert L"  01/24/08 4:50 am >>>
Not being well versed in matters theological, I may be wrong, but I think 'great fish' more closely mirrors the original Hebrew text.  I'll have to check into the education of the translator to see if this is an accident or a superior translation.

Bob

> As a matter of interest, in the OT story of Jonas & the Whale, Buechel's Bible History Stories (1924) merely uses (p.127) : "HOGAN TANKA" [= big fish] for the famous 'whale'.

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill University or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill University do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill University to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill University for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.