"phute'okicu" and other new animals

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Thu Jan 24 16:06:34 UTC 2008

Consulting my bookshelf, here are my two cents:
"whale" in modern Ivrith still is "lifyathan" (lamed - vav - yud -
thet - nun)
לויתן
Searching my dictionary for Biblical Hebrew for it yielded the very
same word (same, yet vocalized, spelling), translated by "Riesentier
Leviathan, Schlange, Krokodil".

I'll be trying to retrieve the Hebrew original of that story telling
of Jona in the whale/fish.

Alfred

Am 24.01.2008 um 05:50 schrieb Rankin, Robert L:

> Not being well versed in matters theological, I may be wrong, but I
> think 'great fish' more closely mirrors the original Hebrew text.
> I'll have to check into the education of the translator to see if
> this is an accident or a superior translation.
>
> Bob

>> As a matter of interest, in the OT story of Jonas & the Whale,
>> Buechel's Bible History Stories (1924) merely uses (p.127) : "HOGAN
>> TANKA" [= big fish] for the famous 'whale'.
>
> <winmail.dat>

狄雨亭 (奧龍)
宋詩家選集 - ❮蝶夢痕❯

www.fa-kuan.muc.de