"phute'okicu" and other new animals

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 18:24:22 UTC 2008

yes

>>> ""Alfred W. Tüting"" <ti at fa-kuan.muc.de> 01/24/08 6:16 pm >>>
(for some reason, this didn't get through)

Let me add this:

this is the original text that actually speaks of a "huge fish" or
"dag gadol"  ??? ?????

??????? ?????? ??? ?????, ????????
???-?????
And the LORD prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah

Alfred

Am 24.01.2008 um 17:06 schrieb Alfred W. Tüting:

> Consulting my bookshelf, here are my two cents:
> "whale" in modern Ivrith still is "lifyathan" (lamed - vav - yud -
> thet - nun)
> ?????
> Searching my dictionary for Biblical Hebrew for it yielded the very

> same word (same, yet vocalized, spelling), translated by "Riesentier

> Leviathan, Schlange, Krokodil".
>
> I'll be trying to retrieve the Hebrew original of that story telling

> of Jona in the whale/fish.
>
> Alfred
>

> Am 24.01.2008 um 05:50 schrieb Rankin, Robert L:
>> Not being well versed in matters theological, I may be wrong, but I

>> think 'great fish' more closely mirrors the original Hebrew text.

>> I'll have to check into the education of the translator to see if
>> this is an accident or a superior translation.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> ________________________________
>>
>>> As a matter of interest, in the OT story of Jonas & the Whale,
>>> Buechel's Bible History Stories (1924) merely uses (p.127) :
>>> "HOGAN TANKA" [= big fish] for the famous 'whale'.
>>
>> <winmail.dat>
>
> ____________________
>
>  ()
>  -
>
> www.fa-kuan.muc.de

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or
opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Edge Hill University or associated companies.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as
possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or
indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this
message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to
identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill University do not actively
monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill
University to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any
attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is
accepted by Edge Hill University for any loss or damage arising in any
way from its use.