"phute'okicu" and other new animals

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jan 26 04:58:04 UTC 2008

Here is the Hebrew for :

JONAH 1:17 (KJV numbering);     2:1 (Hebrew Bible, LXX & Clem.
Vulgate  numbering) :

  וַיְמַ֤ן יְהוָה֙ דָּ֣ג גָּדֹ֔ול
לִבְלֹ֖עַ אֶת־יֹונָ֑ה

"Now the Lord had prepared a great fish [dag gadol] to swallow up
Jonah." [KJV 1:17];

...κήτει μεγάλῳ   /kētei megalōi/  : (Dative Sg.
Neut.)  : "lit.(to a) great sea-monster/whale" [LXX 2:1];

  "...piscem grandem"  : (Accus. Sg. Masc.) [Clem. Vulgate 2:1];
1

and :

JONAH 2:1 (KJV);      2-2 (HB, LXX, ClemVulg.) :

וַיִּתְפַּלֵּ֣ל יֹונָ֔ה
אֶל־יְהוָ֖ה אֱלֹהָ֑יו מִמְּעֵ֖י
הַדָּגָֽה׃

"Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's [(ha)
dagah] belly." [KJV 2:1];

...ἐκ τῆς κοιλίας τοῦ κήτους  /ek tēs koilias
tou kētous/   :  "out of the belly of the sea-monster/whale" [LXX
2:2] ;

"...de ventre (utero) piscis" [ClemVulg. 2:2]

Now lastly,

JONAH 2-10 (KJV);    2-11 (HB, LXX, ClemVulg.) :

וַיֹּ֥אמֶר יְהוָ֖ה לַדָּ֑ג
וַיָּקֵ֥א אֶת־יֹונָ֖ה
אֶל־הַיַּבָּשָֽׁה

"And the Lord spake (unto) the fish [(la)dag], and it vomited out
Jonah." [KJV 2:10]

LXX : τῷ κήτει  /tōi kētei/  (Dat.Sg.N.) : "to the great sea-
monster/whale" [LXX  2:11]

"pisci" (Dat. Sg. Masc.) : simply, "to the fish" [Clem.Vulgate 2:11]

BTW, Bruce, my Maltese friends tell me that , in their enchanting
tongue also, ħuta (f.sg.)  [Two plurals (Determinate) ħutiet ;
(Collective) ħut] is the usual word for fish.

Their word for whale is baliena. Not sure of plural there, prob.
balienat, or balieniet.

But doubtless that is old news to you.

Anybody got the Dakota texts? Pretty please? :)

Clive.

P.S. Buechel's Roman Catholic German bible, (if he consulted one),
would probably have been a version of the so-called (Johann)
DIETENBERGER Bible of 1534, a sort of RC 'counterblast' to Luther's
magnificent translation. Would that be correct Alfred?
I guess S.R. Riggs & co., as Protestant clergymen, might have checked
the KJV (which they probably knew by heart, in any case!).