Comparative Siouan Grammar project

Bryan James Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:42:06 UTC 2008

After rereading Johannes' and Bob's posts, I can say I agree in general with
the idea of building a principally typological comparative grammar that
focusses on morphosyntactic features. Nonetheless, I would caution us
against going too far with rooting out "invisible" things. Bob's original
question was whether we should even admit solutions that appeal to
"invisible" things, and I think the answer to that should be a resounding
Yes, as long as the primary focus is morphosyntactic description and not
theorising. Sometimes the "invisible" answer is much better than any other
answer, and quite frankly, morphosyntactic descriptions often don't provide
any answers at all, so at least a tentative first stab at one should be
welcome, no matter how visible its structure is.

That being said, like Catherine and Johannes, I think we should certainly
make sure the primary focus of each piece is morphosyntactic description and
anything else should be secondary.

- Bryan