[NDNAIM] Activists and Scholars Meet at UCSB to Learn How to Save Endangered Languages

voorhis at westman.wave.ca voorhis at westman.wave.ca
Fri Jul 4 22:55:18 UTC 2008

Jimm GoodTracks wrote:
> *Subject:* Fw: [NDNAIM] Activists and Scholars Meet at UCSB to Learn
> How to Save Endangered Languages

< snip >
> ... to examine successful models of language preservation ...
< snip >

I guess I ought to attend the conference to learn the "successful models
of language preservation," but aside from the obvious success that comes
from having a million or more speakers in a politically and economically
independent state, is there any other successful model?  And how do you
measure success, and how do you know when you've achieved it?  Would the
Celts have claimed success in preserving their language in 100 BC or the
Goths in 300 AD?

But the subject line speaks of "endangered languages."  Success at
preserving one of those must be measured by restoring the language to
regular use in a community which has been mostly using some other
language.  Has that ever happened anywhere?

Paul