[NDNAIM] Activists . . . Endangered Languages

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 15:44:40 UTC 2008

--The Polynesian cases are interesting and tend to confirm that any language can be successfully taught, but they don't confirm that the languages can be restored to *use*.--

I agree with Bob here - we won't know for a while how "successful" these  languages will be in being restored to daily use.  But it is encouraging that even preschool-age children are going to "language nests" where nothing but Hawaiian or Maori are spoken.  I myself attended Hawaiian language classes taught at a private home in Sacramento when I lived there.  The teacher, who unfortunately only came about 3 times out of 12 from the Bay Area to teach, had parents who were from Ni'ihau, the only island (privately owned) where children are still taught in Hawaiian.  It is encouraging that classes are being taught not only in Hawai'i but also in CA and hopefully other states too where there are large Hawaiian communities.